Thursday, November 17, 2011

BETHESDA

The Circle of Life.  What goes around, comes around.... I've been thinking about these concepts alot lately, especially after reading a very interesting article in 'Bethesda' Magazine, titled: 'The Great Divide', by Freelance Journalist:  Mr. Eugene L. Meyer. 


He was basically illustrating the widening divide here in Montgomery County between the 'haves', and the 'have nots'.  One perspective I found particularly interesting was how he detailed different instances where, despite how someone grew-up, their current circumstances could belie their prior privilege.  


I related to that especially, because I grew-up in the affluent New York suburb of Westchester County.  I loathe to even tell people that's where I grew-up, because they're bound to make certain assumptions.  Like, maybe I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  But, they would be wrong.


However, I will admit to an astounding amount of ignorance.  I thought everyone lived in a spacious, million-dollar, 5-bedroom, 2-bath lakefront property with a vast yard - front, back and side.  I thought EVERYONE had the BEST education, the newest books, the latest cars, the most recent and fashionable clothes.  The word: 'ghetto' wasn't even in my vocabulary....


I was blind, or at the very least wearing rose-colored-glasses.  But, in my defense - I was not PURPOSEFULLY blind or ignorant, I simply didn't have anyone the likes of Mr. Meyer to point out what should have been obvious:  Not everyone 'has'.  In fact, alot more people fall into that 'have-not' category than not.


Of course - now that I DO fall into that category, it's painfully obvious how great the divide is, and how much greater it's becoming.  But, instead of pointing fingers, and placing blame, it's probably time for all of us to wake-up, wipe the sleep from our eyes, and work together to figure out how we can solve our many MUTUAL problems.  


Otherwise, the next article Mr. Meyer writes may be entitled:  'The GREATER Divide.....'

No comments:

Post a Comment