Saturday, December 31, 2011

PUBLISHED !

After reading Mr. Meyers' article in the Nov/Dec issue of Bethesda Magazine, I felt compelled to contribute my two cents.... So, I shot off an emotionally charged letter to him.  Well, very shortly I received an email from Ms. Lisa Shroder - Managing Editor, asking if I would allow them to publish it as a 'Letter to the Editor'.  Of course, I said "YES !!!!!"

Truth be told, this is not the first time I've been published.  About 7 years ago, I spoke as a resident before our Mayor and Council on issues relating to housing, and the lack thereof.  Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly what I said, but I'm sure it was along the lines of: 'Please provide more affordable housing for us little people here in the County.....'  That act of public dissent got me published in our local 'Gazette'.

Currently, there are various housing agencies tasked with the almost impossible mission of finding homes for those of us 'under-privileged' who make less than $40,000.00 a year.  The waiting lists are astronomically long - sometimes even years. 

I myself waited two years to get to the top of the Rockville Housing wait list.    There are many parameters which needed to be met first.  They make us jump through ALOT of hoops to get to where we are.  Everytime I watch 'Willie Wonka and The Chocolate Factory', I think about the hope and desperation his family felt when they were trying to win that ticket.  It's not unlike how I felt before I was told there was finally a house available for myself and my kids.  It's the same feeling I'm sure other people feel when they're approved for the Section 8 Voucher.  It feels like getting a 'Golden Ticket'..... No exaggeration.

But, did the Mayor and Council listen to me?  No.  In fact, since then the situation has gotten worse.  Don't get me wrong - luxury townhomes, and deluxe McMansions continue to rise in Montgomery County (along with the cost of living), but the dearth of decent, affordable housing continues it's steep decline.  

I've personally been 'relocated' at the City's behest twice in the last 10 years, for their convenience - but at my own expense.

That's what I alluded to in my 'Letter to the Editor' (Jan/Feb Bethesda Mag);  Until there is equitable treatment and opportunity regarding housing and job opportunities here in Montgomery County - there won't just be 'White flight', there will be 'universal flight' (yes, I just made that up).  

No comments:

Post a Comment