Wednesday, January 4, 2012

FOG

Three or four times this past year, my livingroom has been enveloped in a fog.  Really.  There's no other way to describe it. 

It usually goes like this:

My son and I will be in the livingroom eating, on the computer, talking and/or watching T.V.  Then, out of nowhere, a fog will descend.  I don't wanna say anything, because I think maybe I'm imagining it, and I don't want to alarm my son.  However, in about a minute - he'll turn to me with a strange expression on his face, and blurt out in all his 11-year-old honesty:  "Do YOU see THAT ??!!"  Feigning ignorance, I'll say: "What?"  He'll wave his arms around, and say: "THAT ! THAT ! That .... FOG ??!!"  To which, I have to admit, that - yes - I see it. 

It's odorless, and doesn't seem to affect our eyes, ears, nose or mouth.  But, it is a definite, grey fog.  It's not smoke, because smoke has an odor.  It'll last for about an hour, and then dissipate.  I try not to get upset, but - It's a bizarre phenomenon.  One of the many which happen around here.

My dishwasher starts all by itself.  But, I don't bother to report it to my landlord, because they'll invariably figure out a way to blame me.

The other night my smoke alarm went off by itself.  We weren't cooking, and to my knowledge our neighbors weren't either.  I know, because I can usually smell when they are.  I didn't bother to report it to my landlord, because they'll invariably figure out a way to blame me;  They always do.

I feel like that little piggy in the fable 'The Three Little Pigs', who lived in the straw house, always afraid that one more incident will just blow my house down.  And, I'm shaking in my boots.  Just like that little piggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment