Friday, January 6, 2012

INALIENABLE RIGHTS

My last blog I quoted the noted Economist: Branko Milanovic;  Specifically his assertion that - in the grand scheme of things - even the poorest 5% Americans are better off than the poorest (people) in other parts of the world... Or something like that.

So, I guess that stunning statistic was supposed to shut me up.  Well, it didn't - because according to our U.S.Constitution, specifically: 

The first and second article of the Virginia Declaration of Rights adopted unanimously by the Virginia Convention of Delegates on June 12, 1776 and written by George Mason, states:
'That all men are by nature equally free and independent, and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into a state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.'  
Let me repeat that:  Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.  It doesn't say anything about having a boatload of money to be able to afford it.  In fact, it doesn't say anything about money at all.

In this society, too often we erroneously equate money with happiness.  But, I've known poor people who were very happy;  Conversely, I've known rich people who were MISERABLE

There's even a show on T.V. called:  'The Lottery Changed My Life', which I watch from time to time, basically to prove my own point, which is that money can't buy happiness.  In fact, according to the bible - 'money is the root of all evil....'

If you've read my blogs so far, I rarely talk about money.  More often than not, I'm talking about the fact that my basic, human rights have been violated (as well as my childrens'), and how that has negatively affected our quality of life.

Sure, if I were offered a monetary settlement, I wouldn't turn it down - don't get me wrong - but - that's not the point.  The point is:  That there are people here in our City Government, being allowed by those in our Federal Government - to interfere with our basic right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

And, if they're allowed to interfere in ours, what makes you think they won't interfere in YOURS sometime SOON??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment